< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="krusekronicle.typepad.com" > Kruse Kronicle: Freedom Isn't Free

Monday, July 04, 2005

Freedom Isn't Free


Martin Luther King


“Well, I don’t know what will happen now. We’ve got some difficult days ahead. But it really doesn’t matter with me now, because I’ve been to the mountaintop and I don’t mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I’m not concerned about that now. I just want to do God’s will, and He’s allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I’ve looked over and I’ve seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you, but I want you to know tonight, that we as a people will get to the Promised Land. And I’m happy tonight; I’m not worried about anything. I’m not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.”

(From the sermon “I’ve Been To the Mountaintop,” April 3, 1968, the night before he was murdered.)


"Behold here comes the dreamer. Let us slay him, and we shall see what becomes of his dream."

(Memorial at assassination site.)


Freedom isn’t free!

3 Comments:

At July 05, 2005 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The oddness of the timing of that sermon never struck me before.

 
At July 05, 2005 10:03 AM, Blogger Michael Kruse said...

It is enough to make you wonder if he knew what was coming or at least had sense that his days were numbered.

 
At July 06, 2005 8:57 AM, Blogger Good Riddance said...

Very inspirational. It brings tears to my eyes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home